Monday, May 24, 2010

Calvary's Love

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” James 1: 2-4


How often have you found yourself in the midst of a trail? You know the ones we might even consider just being in the wrong place at the wrong time. For some it may be a job in which a co-worker seems impossible to get alone with? Perhaps they even seem hell bend on causing your life to be unbearable around them. Maybe it a relationship where nothing seems to be going right and one more word will be the straw that broke the camel’s back. I must admit for me it has been being in a place where I have at times thought surely God has forgotten the visions and dreams He has given me. Have you, like me, prayed “Lord remove this, change this person, or even let me go home?”

James tells us we are to consider trails as joy, not just joy but PURE JOY. He goes on to tell us that our faith is being testing. Furthermore that in this testing, we are developing perseverance (patient). Patient is defined as enduring, unwearied, uncomplaining, and long-suffering.

Now I know that it is easier to ask God to change Sally than it is to admit that perhaps God is simply changing us. We so often want to run away instead of facing the growth spurt God is causing in us. Okay I am getting to the good part, hang on. Growth of any kind is often hard. I remember the cramping legs of my granddaughter. She would cry in the midst of the pain. The growing days in that area for her are coming to an end. Now those legs carry her like the wind as she races against a stop watch. All the memories of cramping, growing legs are behind her.

Look back at the scripture, James tells us that perseverance (patient) must finish its work. Why? Patient must finish its work SO THAT we may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. Just think of the rewards when this growth spurt is over. James says we will “not lack for anything”.

I want to leave you with a thought from Amy Carmichael. If you have never read any of her many writings, you would be blessed to do so. Begin with the story of her life “The Life and Words of Amy Carmichael” by Elizabeth R. Skkoglund.

“If I wonder why something trying is allowed, and press for prayer that it may be removed; if I cannot be trusted with any disappointment, and cannot go on in peace under any mystery, then I know nothing of Calvary love”  Insert from “If – What do I know of Calvary Love?” p. 49

Copy of the above print can be found @
http://www.allposters.com/-sp/Thy-Will-be-Done-Posters_i925508_.htm

1 comment:

Glad you dropped by. Hope you enjoyed your visit. Please leave a comment. I would love to hear your thoughts, for iron sharpens iron.

May the Lord bless you,
Linda J